PhD scholarship on sustainable food production
About the scholarship
The PhD-project will be closely linked to the research project FoodProFuture – Innovative and Sustainable Exploitation of Plant Protein in Future Foods, and the PhD candidate will be a part of the research team for the project, which also includes PhD students and postdoc working on other topics within the project. The project will aim to provide an interdisciplinary and creative environment for research and development for PhD students and postdocs. The main target of the PhD scholarship is to implement environmental & social sustainability in food production with special focus on GHG emission reduction, with a value chain perspective from farm to fork.
The main work tasks will be to:
- Study the potentials to increase sustainability through the food production chain of high-protein products (plant and/or animal based)
- analyse sustainability impacts of current high protein product of animal origin by LCA methodologies
- give input to the other work packages in order to achieve increased sustainability
- analyse the sustainability impacts of the plant based products developed in the project by LCA methodologies
The candidate shall work related to hypothesis 1 in the project: “Healthy and well-tasting high quality plant-based products with high content of protein are attractive alternatives to animal products, giving large improvements in sustainability.”
In collaboration with the supervisors, the successful candidate is expected to submit an education and research plan during the first months after appointment with the aim to complete a PhD degree within the timeframe of the PhD scholarship period.
Academic qualifications and experience.
The successful applicant must have an MSc degree (or equivalent), preferably in physics, chemistry, biology, environmental science or other related disciplines. Courses at bachelor or master level and good experiences from Life Cycle assessment within food and agricultural themes are highly desirable. Applicants should have knowledge and experiences from research projects in the fields of sustainable agriculture, food processing, storage, packaging, handling and consumption. The applicant must document expertise and interest in these relevant research areas.
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The grades on MSc degree work.
- Competence in environmental and social life cycle assessments
- Good knowledge and experiences from project work related to the food value chain from farm to fork.
- Dissemination skills.
- Good knowledge of Norwegian language and Norwegian society.
Desired personal qualities
- Interest and commitment towards environmental questions.
- Experiences from using LCA tools and models, preferably SimaPro and EcoInvent (used by Østfoldforskning).
- Analytical ability, future-oriented, innovative and a team player.
- The ability to target and work independently as well as the ability to cooperate in teams and be flexible.
- Fluent English language – both written and oral.
- Ability to work result-oriented, accurate and structured in a fast-paced environment.
- Experiences from research projects and scientific publication within relevant areas
- Good communication skills, both related to research and presentations in general
To apply for this vacancy, please send a written application explaining your interest for the area and ideas for research themes, including CV and list of publications to Østfoldforskning AS, Stadion 4, 1671 Kråkerøy. Applications may also be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions to this scholarship can be directed to:
Research manager Hanne Lerche Raadal tel + 47 480 66 654, email@example.com
Managing Director Trond Edvardsen tel +47 905 71 091, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 25 April 2017